EMEA 2021 Student Forum
Simulating Edge AI Inference to early predict Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease from Exhaled Breath Fingerprint
Samson Otieno OOKO – Postgraduate Student, University of Rwanda

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), every year over 4 million people die prematurely from different types of respiratory diseases, The high rate of mortality results from late diagnosis mainly occurring when a patient starts to experience symptoms and go to a healthcare facility; a diagnosis requiring expensive resources such as equipment and healthcare professionals to envision regular preventive check-ups for all populations. Affordable, free to use, noninvasive early prediction solutions for home use would anticipate on-time medical consultation and therefore treatment, and at the same time increase the datasets of biomarkers required to develop improved respiratory disease prediction analytics.
Existing portable non-invasive breath analysis studies and commercial solutions integrating the Internet of Things (IoT) and Machine Learning (ML) use a cloud-centered architecture, meaning that the breath biomarkers collected by IoT sensors are sent to the cloud for inferencing. Considering bandwidth-constrained scenarios and potentially privacy-preserving requirements of healthcare services, such cloud-centered solution is not viable making an offline breath analysis solution a necessity. Our Master thesis research fits in this context and explores rapid prototyping of an edge Artificial Intelligence (AI) embedded prototype that predicts respiratory disease from exhaled breath fingerprints with objectives to (1) enable offline free to use and regular checkup in home settings and (2) collect large curated datasets to enable development of analytics achieving clinical-grade accuracy.
Up to now, we have set in place a rapid development and simulation pipeline integrating Edge Impulse, STM32IDE Cube and Proteus VSM; respectively for (1) training dataset and generating a TinyML library, (2) integrating the generated library into our application and compile an executable for our target board and finally (3) simulate the edge AI inference process in an embedded context similar to targeted board. We are currently evaluating this set-up on an open-source Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) time-series dataset but our design process is scalable to other diseases as long as corresponding datasets are available. This simulation setup around Proteus VSM is particularly interesting to further explore the impact of non-idealities in embedded hardware as a way to design robust edge AI models. The simulated inference results on Proteus matches pretty well the one on the remote edge impulse platform with a slight variation in classification accuracy. We are currently investigating the origin of this delta.

22 thoughts on “EMEA 2021 Student Forum: Simulating Edge AI Inference to early predict Chronic obstructive…

• August 5, 2021 at 3:16 pm

Has anybody ever shopped at East Coast Vapor Vapor Store located in 826 S. Main St.?

• August 17, 2021 at 9:09 am

I savor, cause I discovered exactly what I was having a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

• August 18, 2021 at 4:21 am

Generally I don’t learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice article.

• August 18, 2021 at 6:57 am

It is in point of fact a great and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

• August 18, 2021 at 5:02 pm

By way of introduction, I am Mark Schaefer, and I represent Nutritional Products International. We serve both international and domestic manufacturers who are seeking to gain more distribution within the United States. Your brand recently caught my attention, so I am contacting you today to discuss the possibility of expanding your national distribution reach.We provide expertise in all areas of distribution, and our offerings include the following: Turnkey/One-stop solution, Active accounts with major U.S. distributors and retailers, Our executive team held executive positions with Walmart and Amazon, Our proven sales force has public relations, branding, and marketing all under one roof, We focus on both new and existing product lines, Warehousing and logistics. Our company has a proven history of initiating accounts and placing orders with major distribution outlets. Our history allows us to have intimate and unique relationships with key buyers across the United States, thus giving your brand a fast track to market in a professional manner. Please contact me directly so that we can discuss your brand further. Kind Regards, Mark Schaefer, marks@nutricompany.com, VP of Business Development, Nutritional Products International, 101 Plaza Real S, Ste #224, Boca Raton, FL 33432, Office: 561-544-0719

• August 19, 2021 at 4:55 am

Thanks for the concepts you are sharing on this blog site. Another thing I’d prefer to say is the fact getting hold of some copies of your credit file in order to look at accuracy of the detail is the first step you have to undertake in fixing credit. You are looking to clear your credit history from destructive details problems that wreck your credit score.

• September 5, 2021 at 5:27 am

Has anyone ever been to Artisan Vapor Ecig Shop in 2331 US-209 S?

• September 12, 2021 at 9:36 am

Can someone recommend Robes? Cheers xx

• September 19, 2021 at 3:31 pm

• September 24, 2021 at 2:06 am

Can anyone in a position to recommend quality Car Window Tinting Business Contact Details? Thanks 😀

• September 26, 2021 at 2:35 am

I look after a vape store directory and we have had a posting from a vape shop in the United States that also markets CBD items. A Calendar month later on, PayPal has written to use to claim that our account has been limited and have requested us to take away PayPal as a payment solution from our vape shop directory. We do not retail CBD products like CBD oil. We only provide marketing professional services to CBD firms. I have had a look at Holland & Barrett– the UK’s Well known Wellness Retail store and if you take a good peek, you will see that they sell a pretty wide-ranging range of CBD goods, primarily CBD oil and they also happen to take PayPal as a payment solution. It emerges that PayPal is administering double standards to many different companies. Because of this limitation, I can no longer take PayPal on my CBD-related site. This has limited my payment possibilities and now, I am heavily contingent on Cryptocurrency payments and straightforward bank transfers. I have checked with a barrister from a Magic Circle law firm in London and they stated that what PayPal is doing is definitely against the law and discriminatory as it ought to be applying a consistent standard to all firms. I am yet to talk with one more lawyer from a US law firm in London to see what PayPal’s legal position is in the United States. For the time being, I would be highly appreciative if anybody here at targetdomain could offer me with different payment processors/merchants that deal with CBD firms.

• September 28, 2021 at 10:08 pm

how does cbd oil help diabetes?

• October 1, 2021 at 9:28 am

Can someone recommend Ben Wa Balls and Jiggle Balls? Thanks x

• October 19, 2021 at 6:01 am

I haven抰 checked in here for a while as I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

• December 29, 2021 at 12:22 am

koi cbd vape juice review

• December 30, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Does anyone know E-Cignificance vape shop in 1850 Redmond Circle Suite 400 offers e-juice made by Johnny Creampuff Salts? I have emailed them at sales@rockymountainecigs.com

• January 1, 2022 at 2:20 pm

what is the difference between cbd oil from hemp vs cannabis

• January 11, 2022 at 3:05 am

Has anyone ever vaped Cookie King eJuice Vaping ejuice?

• January 11, 2022 at 6:02 pm

Has anybody ever shopped at Charlotte E Cigs Vape Store located in 7441 Paseo Del Norte?

• January 11, 2022 at 11:10 pm

Has anyone ever been to AquaVapor Online Vape Shop Ecig Shop in 204 S Broadway?

• January 19, 2022 at 12:56 am

Has anyone ever been to Uptown Vapor Ecigarette Shop in 840 Wooster Ave?

• January 20, 2022 at 4:26 am

how to make thc vape oil at home