Arduino Support for the Pi Pico available! And how fast is the Pico?

Breaking News: Arduino IDE support for the Pi Pico is available! No, not the official one. This probably still will take its time. But Earle F. Philhower, III published an unofficial support! Does it work, and how can we install it? And, of course, how fast is the Pico if we use the Arduino IDE? Really faster than anything we saw up till now?
I am a proud Patreon of @GreatScott! @ElectroBOOM , @Electronoobs , @EEVblog , and others. No Docker, No Microsoft Teams, Zoom

Links:
Github with JSON string: https://github.com/earlephilhower/arduino-pico
Pi Pico: https://amzn.to/3pO09aB

The links above usually are affiliate links that support the channel (no additional cost for you).
Supporting Material and Blog Page: http://www.sensorsiot.org
Github: https://www.github.com/sensorsiot
My Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/AndreasSpiess
Discord: https://discord.gg/JfgDSa8
If you want to support the channel, please use the links below to start your shopping. No additional charges for you, but I get a commission of your purchases to buy new stuff for the channel
My Amazon.com shop: https://www.amazon.com/shop/andreasspiess
For Banggood https://bit.ly/2jAQEf4
For AliExpress: http://bit.ly/2B0yTLL
For Amazon.de: http://amzn.to/2r0ZCYI
For Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2mxBaJf
For ebay.com: http://ebay.to/2DuYXBp

Please do not try to email me. This communication channel is reserved for my primary job
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
#no#midroll#ads

34 thoughts on “Arduino Support for the Pi Pico available! And how fast is the Pico?

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Much of my SAMD project is not compiling yet. Is either due to SAMD or the current Pico platform. Needs some tweaking. Time will tell.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Thanks Andreas!. Very interesting to see what the hardware can do now that the micropython interpreter has been circumvented. I don't know if you have attempted it before but it would be very interesting to see equivalent programs running on micro-python vs. Arduino C code now that Earle has so kindly made it more accessible. For me the main advantage of the entire Pi series was having real OS such as Linux(and HMDI + WIFI). Stripping down the HW and going to micro-python or even Arduino C means they are now playing in a different market and apparently not very competitive.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Not exactly a comment about the RPI Pico, but how would the Arduino Nano 33 BLE fit into your benchmark list? It has many attractive features for makers.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

This will make it actually be worth to buy for me.
    Also I read no Docker in the description, then I subscribed.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Why all the hype over pico? More mature devices and ecosystems exist.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

If you're trying to do this on Windows 7 the COM port will be an unrecognised device called ArduinoPico. To fix this you can use Zadig to assign the USB Serial (CDC) driver to this device.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Eh, this is nice but imho the pico's main selling point was the python and easy/user-friendly setup with its own tools. If you pull it in the same race as everyone else in the Arduino ecosystem it becomes a small fish in a big pond full of sharks. Many other microcontrollers are the same or better at a similar price point.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

There is much you can do with the PIO that does not show up in the benchmarks. PIO state machines run at 125Mhz and are cycle accurate. I measured jitter at less than 100 psec. I'm using Pico to replace an fpga in a lab setting so I think it has potential!

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

No built-in networking / IOT… pass. Too little to compete with ESP32 IMO.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

For folks who complain about Pico hype:
    – do not buy this chip 'because it might come in handy', it won't unless you know otherwise for a fact;
    – do not watch YT videos waiting for them to convince that it is worth the price, it is not unless you have a use case;
    – do not complain in comments as it looks dull and put your anger in overcoming clickbait type of marketing and FOMO endurance;
    – do buy it to support Raspberry Pi foundation as a form of donation for their educational efforts;
    – do explore what you will come up with using the board firsthand (not simply following cookbook), as it is what the board and the whole Raspberry ecosystem is all about;
    – stop comparing it to ESP32 as it is completely different (RTOS free) dev environment and as RP2040 was not made to compete with MCU market but to fill the Raspberry product lineup.
    – do not follow all the above, and think for your own, but then again you might just come up with the same conclusions.
    Rant over.. I wish someone with subscribers made it into a video.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Why would Arduino even care to add the s/w to their environment for a board they don't make or sell ? That would be counter productive to their sales.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Thanks for letting us know, ( mine is still in the draw waiting for a suitable project 🙂

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Teensy smokes all out of water, even the esp32… the pico is quite mediocre, like a bluepill more or less. In any case, super ineresting video

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

I am curious about the power consumption vs the more traditional boards. I imagine its more efficient then the esp32.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Thanks for the mid-week news flash! Even this level of support seems to be easier than the straight C workflow the Pi foundation supports.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Nice video, as always. Do you plan on testing RISC-V based or more powerful ARM microcontrollers, like the STM32H7 lineup? I'm actually eager to see powerful RISC-V designs as there are many articles about them but have not seen anything being made by great manufacturers like Atmel and STmicroelectronics so I have not yet developed interest in them. I hope you'll change it in the near future.

SIR,
    WHEN I TRIED FADE SKETCH THIS ERROR CAME UP. BUT THIS CODE HAS WORKED:https://github.com/raspberrypi/pico-examples/blob/master/blink/blink.c
    Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: "Raspberry Pi Pico, Serial, None"

C:UsersnagwinDownloadsarduino-1.8.13-windowsarduino-1.8.13arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:UsersnagwinDownloadsarduino-1.8.13-windowsarduino-1.8.13hardware -hardware C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalArduino15packages -tools C:UsersnagwinDownloadsarduino-1.8.13-windowsarduino-1.8.13tools-builder -tools C:UsersnagwinDownloadsarduino-1.8.13-windowsarduino-1.8.13hardwaretoolsavr -tools C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalArduino15packages -built-in-libraries C:UsersnagwinDownloadsarduino-1.8.13-windowsarduino-1.8.13libraries -libraries C:UsersnagwinDocumentsArduinolibraries -fqbn=rp2040:rp2040:rpipico:dbg=Serial,lvl=None__ -vid-pid=2E8A_0005 -ide-version=10813 -build-path C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalTemparduino_build_203244 -warnings=none -build-cache C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalTemparduino_cache_259627 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.pqt-elf2uf2.path=C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalArduino15packagesrp2040toolspqt-elf2uf21.0.1-base-3a57aed -prefs=runtime.tools.pqt-elf2uf2-1.0.1-base-3a57aed.path=C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalArduino15packagesrp2040toolspqt-elf2uf21.0.1-base-3a57aed –
    …………………………………………………..
    Compiling libraries…

Compiling core…

Using precompiled core: C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalTemparduino_cache_259627corecore_rp2040_rp2040_rpipico_dbg_Serial,lvl_None_____e72566633bdb197dd9149f3d0e758da3.a

Linking everything together…

"C:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\rp2040\tools\pqt-gcc\1.0.1-base-3a57aed/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" "-"C:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_203244\sketch\Fade.ino.cpp.o" "C:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_203244/..\arduino_cache_259627\core\core_rp2040_rp2040_rpipico_dbg_Serial,lvl_None_____e72566633bdb197dd9149f3d0e758da3.a" "C:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\rp2040\hardware\rp2040\0.9.4/lib/libpico.a" -lm "-IC:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\rp2040\hardware\rp2040\0.9.4/pico-sdk/src/rp2040/hardware_regs/include/" "-IC:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\rp2040\hardware\rp2040\0.9.4/pico-sdk/src/common/pico_binary_info/include" "C:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\rp2040\hardware\rp2040\0.9.4/assembly/bs2_default_padded_checksummed.S" -lc -lstdc++ -Wl,–end-group

"C:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\rp2040\tools\pqt-elf2uf2\1.0.1-base-3a57aed/elf2uf2" "C:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_203244/Fade.ino.elf" "C:\Users\nagwin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_203244/Fade.ino.uf2"

C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalArduino15packagesrp2040toolspqt-python31.0.1-base-3a57aed/python3 C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalArduino15packagesrp2040hardwarerp2040.9.4/tools/uf2conv.py –serial COM4 –family RP2040 –deploy C:UsersnagwinAppDataLocalTemparduino_build_203244/Fade.ino.uf2

Resetting COM4

Converting to uf2, output size: 436736, start address: 0x2000

No drive to deploy.

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Thank you for all the information that you’re supplying…… It’s really valuable

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Interesting as I have three of these sitting here. The biggest turn off right now is no USB type C port. Typical RasPi design. I even put type C ports on my one off designs.
    I think I will use my ESP32 module adapter which comes with a type C connector instead of these things.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

How can the Teensy 4.1 be so fast and so cheap ? Did china pirate the Arm design? The international price of the ArmM7 with FP processor alone is far more than the board costs.
    How can a small company undercut all the huge semiconductor giants like Microchip / atmel , STmicro … who spend millions to develop and compete with their best processors ? I wonder thats going to happen to the market with these new cpu's

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

None of the major networks are reporting this major breaking news event, it must be a conspiracy

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

I do not think that number crunching performance is the most relevant issue for most embedded systems. It is mor I/O speed that counts. I am wondering how the Pico‘s PIO state machines compare to bit-banging approaches often necessary to emulate I/O protocols.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Sad ! I thought the Pico had such promise but the ESP32 just wipes the floor with it. However, Pico plus micropython is a very easy package for youngsters to learn a high level language although I think it is just kidding them they are programming when using such bloatware.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

when you did the pico vs arduino vs esp32 comparison you looked at interrupt response time, what does that look like under C++?

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Thanks Andreas. My back-ordered pico just arrived today—great timing. The Raspberry Pi Foundation must have some plan grand plan for the pico but I’m at a loss to see what it is.

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

lol i like the pico with python. but still the more the better. more to play with. and spanks

• March 26, 2021 at 3:27 am

Well this is good news considering how awful I found the alternatives!
    It still feels like it has a long way to go before it's "educational environment ready" like the micro bit.

Asking for a suggestion:
    Hi, sir! I am a big fan of you. Your videos are really awesome and knowledgeable. Now I just want to share a idea with you,
    I have been working to make my own oscilloscope because they are very costly,I can't afford. So I decided to make my own. I have already created an analogue scope from a small CRT tv, but that has a very low bandwidth of 1 KHZ because the deflection coils are not fast enough. So I want to make a digital scope using some microcontroller but I can't find a fast ADC chip in indian market, so I have to use some trick. I can use raspberry pi pico or esp32 but don't know how to program.
    And Arduino is too slow for the job. But sir I have a better idea by which we can increase the effective bandwidth of the ADC of Arduino equivalent to some million sample per second. I found online that it can take a sample in 4.78 microsecond. So we can't take much sample in high frequency signal.
    My idea:
    To construct the waveform of a periodic signal its not mandatory to take all the samples from a single cycle, because all the cycles of a periodic signal are just the same, so we can take samples from different cycles, let's sa we want to take 1000 sample from 1KHz signal, to do that we have to sample at an interval of 1 microsecond, but using my idea, If we take one sample per cycle then we can have 1000 samples from 1000 cycles at total time of 1second. Since all the cycles are same so we can take the first sample at 0microsecond, next at 1001 microsecond instead of 1 microsecond, and the next at 2002microsecond, next at3003microsecond, this way if we take 1000 samples from 1000 cycles then display it, it will have much more resolution but using a slow adc. But the disadvantage is we can't see the real time change and can't see aperiodic signals. But for periodic signals, thats great, we can sample even mega hertz signals using the slow ADC of an Arduino.

So, please make a video and a program for this, I don't know programming, thats why I am contacting you. I hope I will get help from you. Waiting :). Thanks in advance