LIVE Shop Talk 39: To the Edge of Space with the NVIDIA Jetson Nano

You guys can help me out over at Patreon, and that will help me keep my gear updated, and help me keep this quality content coming:

Today we will look at my student’s project to put a NVIDIA Jetson Nano in space using a HAB. This program will show the progress of the project

#NVIDIA
#JetsonNano
#HighAltitudeBalloon

22 thoughts on “LIVE Shop Talk 39: To the Edge of Space with the NVIDIA Jetson Nano

• March 11, 2021 at 8:56 am

Paul, Great video. Thanks for your service to our youth to follow up a career supporting our national security.

I'm a scout leader and I'd love to set something like this up for our scouts some day. As a homeschooling parent (since long before covid) I've also got my kids starting to work through your videos (fusion 360 and arduino to start). Thanks!

As an engineer, you've got my curiosity going. I've been thinking about the the antenna pointing issue and I was wondering if a signal tracker could be implemented to augment your IMU. Simply nutating the antenna probably wouldn't work because I suspect your signal strength varies as the package swings under the balloon so you wouldn't know if the variation reflected pointing accuracy or signal variation.

I was thinking about something like a Radar monopulse system that compares amplitude and or phase in four quadrants around the beam center. It's probably too complex for your system, but could you compare signal from four antennas around the primary one? Alternately, could you mount offset receiver elements around the primary within your existing dish and compare them. In these cases, all antennas would see the variation, so you can zero that out.

Finally, as a different approach, could you mount an IMU on a rigid arm extending far enough behind the dish to experience larger swings? Would that make it easier for the IMU to measure your pointing angle?

Keep up the good work.

• March 11, 2021 at 8:56 am

Please keep uploading your videos!!! I just found out your channel and you are the best!!!❤️✨
    Love and support from India.

• March 11, 2021 at 8:56 am

Do you have a kit recommendation for the Jetsons nano and a link that will help you out. I saw one but it was sold out. I would like to use it for object recognition with cameras and little teeny plastic parts (LEGO)

• March 11, 2021 at 8:56 am

How cool to be a student getting to work on such an interesting project. I would love that. Thanks for the insides, would love to get to know more about the process and how you prepare the students and how much of the coding knowledge they are using to get these things going.

• March 11, 2021 at 8:56 am

Hello Paul,

Would love to hear more about the baloon hardware systems and a live stream of your flight coverage when it happens !!!! I was wondering how much money it costs to use the iridium satellite network for the approximately five or so hours ot takes to complete the mission? Great contact Paul !!!!!! You are the greatest !!!!! Rick

• March 11, 2021 at 8:56 am

Hello Mr. McWhorter I am currently a junior in high school and started the new Arduino lessons about two weeks ago and I have to say it has been the best tutorial on the internet for actual beginners. When I first got my Arduino kit I would just copy and paste code and learn nothing from doing them. However from your videos I appreciate that you take the time to teach the programming and hardware in depth. I have learned so much from your channel and hope to use the concepts I learned soon on some personal robotics projects soon. Thank you so much!

• March 11, 2021 at 8:56 am

Really enjoyed this video. A good idea to have another student return. More about the space launches and problem-solving for this project would be good too. Have a great weekend. Thanks, Paul.

• March 11, 2021 at 8:56 am

If a vacuum can not exist next to a pressure without a barrier how would you explain the vacuum of space? Remember: We are in the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit is in us. Spirit comes from Latin and means "Breath" thus : "we are in air and the air is in us"
    That's why GOD will see everything and we can never create an image of GOD, we can only see the effects of his work and create art(ivisual).
    Most people fail to realize that the creator created everything and so GOD created the air. Paul, are you willing to believe that everything is created out of a big bang and still hold faith? 14.7Psi in a container for us the breath from. That's what you should visualize instead of giving power to an image you should stop giving power to. Peace and Love