#367 How Trust Kills Complexity

Trust is the biggest complexity killer. And one of the biggest assets. Why do I think so, and what is the relevance for you? Where to have to pay attention, where to change or set priorities for the future?
I am a proud Patreon of @GreatScott!, @ElectroBOOM, @Electronoobs, @EEVblog, and others

Links:
Video #191: https://youtu.be/ZpKoLvqOWyc
Video #245: https://youtu.be/HmXfyLyN38c
My new Amazon Shop: https://www.amazon.com/shop/andreasspiess

The links above usually are affiliate links that support the channel (no additional cost for you).
Supporting Material and Blog Page: http://www.sensorsiot.org
Github: https://www.github.com/sensorsiot
My Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/AndreasSpiess
Discord: https://discord.gg/JfgDSa8
If you want to support the channel, please use the links below to start your shopping. No additional charges for you, but I get a commission (of your purchases the next 24 hours) to buy new stuff for the channel
For Banggood https://bit.ly/2jAQEf4
For AliExpress: http://bit.ly/2B0yTLL
For Amazon.de: http://amzn.to/2r0ZCYI
For Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2mxBaJf
For ebay.com: http://ebay.to/2DuYXBp

Please do not try to email me. This communication channel is reserved for my primary job
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
#no#midroll#ads

41 thoughts on “#367 How Trust Kills Complexity

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

Well, I have been also a customer of Ali for years. But since they have cheated me three month ago I'm afraid to use this service any more. The seller was a scam and provided a fake shipment info. It stated that the smartphone I have ordered was delivered 4 month earlier before I have even made a purchase. I have opened a dispute and ALI denied it just immediately though it was obvious that the seller was a fraud. I have tried to protest this dispute but with no vain. Ali just backs its thieves-like sellers.

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

lol, you just tried to make me trust bmw and ikea as if they were a nurse.

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

True- large sections of society live off this atmosphere of distrust (afore mentioned lawyers).
    Complexity is preferred because because it sets up a massive grey zone that people can be dishonest in.
    Unlike clear literal communication where there is no doubt in meaning.
    I to love the simplicity of trust

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

Faith has no place in engineering and trust has some caveats. The big tech corporations have eroded trust with their destructive marketing polices.
    I refer to software engineered obsolescence, and the move away from buying products to buying services.
    Should we trust the technology companies with control over all the IoT devices which are becoming more ubiquitous by the day.
    Should we trust products, who's continued operation remains so dependent on the internet link to the manufactures site.
    How is this relevant to product reviews? Well engineering, and electronic engineering in particular is now only partly driven by improvements in technology and far more dependent on the needs of marketing. This policy shift is taking electronics down a road of dependency, driven by convenience. For example, it is very nice and convenient to be able to network all your expensive test gear together via a cable or wi-fi network. It is not so good when you find its continued operation is dependent on the continued support for a particular computer operating system, or more importantly a particular a version of it.
    Both professional and commercial products now have a life cycle defined, not by the quality of their hardware engineering, but by the willingness of the manufacture to continue to supply software support. The latter being in the control of the marketing department in question.
    Much of the test gear of an earlier age, before the software integrated environment, still working today. Much younger test equipment has been rendered expensive bricks, by the evolution of certain computer operating systems. I am sure you know which I mean.
    As engineers should we trust in the direction that the technology is taking us, particularly when the marketing departments are in the driving seat. Should we be happy to put our faith into the continued economic operation of remote server, just because they offload a lot of the data processing burden from local equipment. I contend that we are being beguiled to travel down a technological blind alley, which is essentially a trap set by the money men. A direction that damages the environment and will eventually stifle innovation, as consumers are forced to repeatedly buy the same functionality over and over again, because of the equipment's limited software engineered life expectancy. If you take a myopic view, the future looks bright, but can we really trust the technological path we are being tricked into following?

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

I have skipped a lot of mailbag videos as those give too much new ideas to do and I'm out of time. Also, those get expensive. I still like mailbag videos. Those are like candy bags that aren't healthy

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

Although quite "tangential" to Your normal subject matter I chose to view it because I trust Your channel 🙂
    And You did not fail, even though it didn't exactly present anything new, it was (as always) a very thought through and clear explanation, that without being overly lengthy and verbose explained the terms and concepts.
    And I found that I went away with a "clearer view" and more concrete and firm understanding of a "subject" that I already believed that I understood.
    So You have further strengthened my trust in You and Your channel by "under promising" (using a clear but "unassuming" title and thumbnail) and over delivered by the quality of the subject and presentation.
    So as always You have my deep gratitude for making and sharing Your excellent content.
    And also a massive kudos to all those that are Your patreons/patrons(?) for also making it possible.
    Best regards

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

I like mailbag videos. You always show something interesting, that I don't stumble upon myself. And we get a rough overview and your opinion about the item.

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

7:59 "The only product that AliExpress sold back then was trust." Thank you Andreas, that is excellent insight.

Interesting video.

I don’t have much trust in Amazon due to a not insignificant amount of fake copies of products, as well as products that are faulty to the degree of damaging either what they are plugged into or be a danger to the user. I think most things are okay, but I don’t have the trust in Amazon to filter out the bad. I guess that’s the problem with selling almost everything. I have recently been thinking about trust (although I did not think of the word “trust” until this video) and have a increased appreciation of it lately. So I try to buy from smaller stores that I trust do their due diligence, and that I want to be around anyway, even at a higher cost.

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

Love (trust!) ALL your Vids…….more so now. Great outlook on life . Long may you succeed Andrew.

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

All your videos are very helpful to me as a beginner
    Thank you very much for comparing the different controls and parts.
    It is very difficult for a beginner to choose a control plate that suits his needs. Because I save a lot of time and money, I can focus on my creativity.
    Now I have a problem because the Lora frequency used in Taiwan is 920-928MHZ and Aliexpress does not sell the Taiwan frequency. I found a web article that teaches how to change the Lora frequency by myself, can I fix it to the frequency I want?

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

Like you I built up some trust in Aliexpress, and ordered hundreds (possibly thousands) of items. Then one experience completely shattered my trust in aliexpress, enough that I avoid aliexpress now and pay extra to buy from Ebay.

An item I ordered never arrived; in the past this was not a problem and I had a refund from the seller or they re-sent the item. This item had a tracking number and the tracking number said that the package was delivered to a different city, where I have never been before. The seller and I hit a stalemate when he said the tracking said delivered, and I said that I agree it says delivered, but the city is 400km away from me so it must have been a mixed up tracking number or other issue.

This escalated to Aliexpress where I was sure with my evidence of the order being delivered to a different city, they would accept that as not delivered. They sided with the seller, because the seller provided a tracking number for a shipment and the tracking number says delivered.

My thought was, that Aliexpress's trust was built when things worked (orders were received); as soon as something didn't work (this was my first time escalating a case to Aliexpress) they failed miserably. I subsequently cancelled my account once all other orders which were in transit at the time were received.

I was fortunate that this order was one of the smaller amounts, so I only lost about 50€, but the experience soured me to the Aliexpress brand. I now pay slightly more via ebay, probably even from the same sellers.

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

Even though I do not know you in person, I would probably take your advice in a very big life decision if you provided advice. This sounds very strange but I am 40 years old and I know that my judgement is very good, because I am analytical, and so my judgement about who to trust is also very good. So when I meet other analytical people, who are able to show that they don't have any bad intention, I am extremely likely to trust them. I search a lot in Youtube and find many videos from people in Asian countries. Some play with Arduino sensors and make silly statements and silly claims, they cut their videos very suspiciously in a way that makes you think "you are making something fake", and they play stupid music and have silly graphics. Channels often have names like "Creative xyz" or "Electronics Tutorial" or whatever. I try to keep an open mind but every time it's the same: Japanese voices always speak with authority and Indian voices often (not always of course) on youtube tend to show a lack of rigorous application of analytical thought… often wanting to "appear" like they are succeeding in showing you something but not really. I watched one just now, and then noticed the youtuber wrote in his own comments a notice to companies to send him things to test! This quickly added to my judgement of him! I continue to try to make sure I am not being biased against people from certain countries and I keep watching with an open mind. I was not brought up with a racist mindset, this is my own judgement from what I see regularly. I thought this viewpoint might be interesting, because I think it shows I understand that "clan" can be deceptive and there are people in ANY country in the world who are the same as me… but it is certainly harder to find in certain far away countries (e.g. India), and easier to find in other far away countries (e.g. Japan or China).

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

This video addresses an important idea of old times, trust. We live in a digital era, these ideas don't matter now. My boss has a great trust in his belief that i am a man not to be trusted. So there is some "understanding" But i think we humans are wired that way.

And regarding "clones" i believe over a period of time, clones beat the original brand in maturity utility and importance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzE-fSh9gVw especially so when the original doesn't know what to do..and overprized https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdAFJ-19zlU

And like aliexpress, banggood did not let me down, after more than a month of no information, my altera cyclone iv clone board arrived, although i haven't tested it yet. And i hope it should work like the original. Although it is behind the Virtual world, its still the human spirit that makes things work the way they should, rather the way humans want them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4qc6sh3cK4 although it appears the other way https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/features/story/should-i-delete-whatsapp-account-can-it-read-private-messages-and-other-key-questions-answered-1757960-2021-01-11#:~:text=Question%20%2D%20Should%20I%20delete%20WhatsApp,be%20active%20on%20the%20platform.

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

OT: Please start using Odysee, toghether with Dave Jones and many other electronics content creators.

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

Your channel is one of the Best in engineering and makers arena and your trustworthiness for sure is the main responsible for its success! I’m considering sponsoring it as Patreon to make sure you always remain independent and with your fantastic content quality!

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

AliExpress is great for us buyers, I wonder if the small sellers in China are so happy with it?

Whenever I've had a dispute, AliExpress has always ruled in my favour, I've had many disputes over
    the past six years. Unfortunately this behaviour makes the small sellers vulnerable to unscrupulous buyers,
    that can claim something didn't work when delivered. They many have a lower level trust in AliExpress, but have a
    limited marketplace to sell their goods, so have to accept it.

Great video, thank you!
    I fully subscibe to your opinion about Aliexpress. As a retired scientist I can now continue my research at a fraction of the previous costs. What I could do only within funded research projects for 100k$ or more, I can now easily pay out of my own pocket. And through channels like yours, I can plan and build all parts myself and save the friction communicating with workshops, where I often get wrong or crazy overdesigned solitions. Thank you, China and all those others that I trust and wasn't disappointed ……

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

I really like the mailbag videos, but it is hard to watch all the cool tech get looked at, then put on a shelf for later :O 😉
    Might I suggest a video idea? Select a small number of items from a mailbag ahead of time, then present them as “mailbag gems” or some such and include a small practical example project or modular use-case you could incorporate into a larger project video later for each.
    I find everything on the channel excellent, even the topics outside my wheelhouse! I look forward to your 2021 content. Cheers

• March 11, 2021 at 11:55 am

Talking about Trust… I would recommend taking the time to explore the online game/simulation "The Evolution of Trust" https://ncase.me/trust/ . You can go over it for 30min, but I do recommend toying with the simulations a bit more.
    It uses the prisoners dilemma in multiple repeated sessions to turn the outcomes in complete opposite direction. It manages to explore the bond of social interaction and how it could break.

• June 13, 2021 at 8:24 pm

Best view i have ever seen !